How to Hold a Full Moon Ritual
Fun and Powerful Rituals To Try During The Next Full Moon
There’s no doubt we're all going through a huge shift in energy with the current global pandemic.
I’ve been feeling an urge to connect with nature and things that really matter since we’ve been forced to slow down from COVID. Along with this urge comes the need to connect with energy in nature to provide us with a sense of calmness and grounding, while we stay at home. Moon cycles are perfect to connect with nature and slow down to connect with ourselves as well!
What is the spiritual meaning of the full moon?
Our individual lives (and the universe) undergo many cycles as life unfolds - including lunar cycles. Humans have been fascinated and connected with lunar cycles since the beginning of human civilisation, but we’ve become increasingly separated from lunar cycles in our modern world with constant distractions in our modern society.
Full moons occur every month when sun and moon oppose each other on their orbit allowing the sun's rays to fully light up the surface of the moon. This is when the moon shines at its brightest and fullest. The mix of lunar and solar energy in the night skies creates high energy and can be used to release what no longer serves us and helps manifest our dreams!
The full moon and the days surrounding it are a time to spur release negative energy and fears, while connecting with the universe. I often feel renewed, happier and lighter after a full moon ritual.
Here are five fun activities you can try out to simply relax and release your stress while harnessing full moon manifestation energy.
1. Create a sacred space with manifesting tools
Begin by creating a sacred space in your home where you plan to perform the ritual. Gather any inspirational or spiritual objects that are meaningful to you (crystals, manifestation boards, photos, coins, books or anything that represents the energy of what you intend to manifest).
2. Cleanse your body and space
It’s easy for our body and homes to pick up energy that don't serve our highest good. This negative energy can come from other people we come across, world events, our own negative thoughts, etc.
Cleansing your space will help release any unwanted energy before you begin your full moon ritual. This can easily be done by burning a sage smudge stick or palo santo, allowing its energy to transmute anything negative in your space.
Be sure to quiet your mind and think positive thoughts as you cleanse your space. Relax your mind and say a quick affirmation before you cleanse your space, such as:
“I now release that which no longer serves me and open myself up to receive the highest good of the universe. So be it, so it is. Thank you universe.”
Meditating during a full moon is a powerful way to tap into lunar energy and harness the energetic power of the moon's light. Meditation is also an important part of any of your rituals to set up the right mindset and align with your higher self and what you want to accomplish (your intention).
- Sit comfortably in a space where the moonlight is visible, if possible.
- Close your eyes and feel the moon's beams filling the room and enveloping your mind, body and spirit.
- Quiet your mind and focus on your breath and the intention you've set for.
- Slowly bring your attention back to the room and open your eyes.
- Repeat as much as you like in the hours before or after the full moon.
This is my fave ritual! Words are powerful, and the full moon is a potent time for letting go of what's no longer serving you.
Write down a list of things you fear at the moment or anything you want to release from your life experience, and read them aloud with intention:
"I release you!" or "Thank you for your service, you are now allowed to move on!"
You can also write down your fears or anything you want to release on a sheet of paper and burn the paper in a safe instrument (a bowl or abalone shell would be great) and say “I release you!” as the paper and your fears burn away and are released.
Remember to express gratitude for the release of this negative energy and wish it well as it leaves your life!
Things you should generally avoid during a full moon
- Starting a new endeavour – the full moon is a time of conclusion. If possible, start your new projects during the new moon and use the full moon to relax, reflect, and release.
- Overwork or over stress - Emotions are heightened during the full moon and can cause knee-jerk reactions that do not serve anyone involved. The full moon is meant to be a celebratory time of culmination, so avoid getting stressed or overworking yourself.
- Make life-changing decisions - Emotions are heightened during the full moon, which can prompt knee-jerk reactions. If you're not grounded, avoid making any sudden decisions.
Remember to have fun and don't stress about doing the ritual perfectly! The intention behind your actions is what matters most.